Request a Proclamation or Certificate of Recognition
Request A Proclamation or Certificate of Recognition
Requests for proclamations or certificates must be submitted at least 30 days before the document is needed.
The Mayor may read a Proclamation or Certificate at a Village Board meeting. Recognition occurs at the beginning of regular Board meetings on the second and fourth Wednesdays at 6:30 p.m. See calendar here.
Proclamations are legal documents that declare a day, week or month in honor of a cause, individual or occasion significant to the Village of Homer Glen and its residents. Proclamations may not be used in any advertisement or promotion without written approval from the Mayor’s Office.
Note: The Mayor will not issue proclamations for organizations or causes with organization or business names in the title. Proclamations are mission-driven. Proclamations are ceremonial and do not carry any legislative or legal value.
The primary reasons for issuance include:
- A significant date or anniversary related to the Village of Homer Glen
- Significant historical commemoration
- Recognizing a national or state non-profit event that coincides with a local event (e.g. Breast Cancer Awareness Month)
- Recognizing a person or group of people who have had a significant impact on the Village of Homer Glen
- Recognizing a resident celebrating a 100th birthday (if need be, the Mayor will present the proclamation at the recipient's residence)
Request for proclamations should include:
- Desired, day, week or month of the proclamation
- Proposed text for the proclamation including up to five sentences “whereas” clauses explaining and supporting the reason for the declaration, not to exceed one page.
- Contact information for the person or group requesting the proclamation
The Mayor's Office reserves the right to modify or deny any proclamation request.
Certificates of Achievement or Recognition
The Mayor may issue Certificates for the following:
- An individual, organization or business that has provided exemplary service or significant contributions to the Village of Homer Glen.
- A Homer Glen resident, team, or organization with a notable achievement.
A request for a certificate should include:
- Recipient's full name and address
- A brief (less than 100 words) description of the recipient
- A brief (less than 300 words) description of the reason for the certificate
- Proposed text for the certificate
- Date of event (if applicable)
- Date certificate is desired
- Contact information for the person requesting the certificate
The Mayor will not recognize any group whose policies or aims advocate violence, hatred, or any other position contrary to the well-being of the citizens of Homer Glen or the quality of life in Homer Glen. Proclamations will not be issued for any matter with potential political controversy or which may suggest an official Village position on a matter under consideration or to be voted upon by the Village Board. Proclamations will not be issued for anniversaries or matters espousing an individual's/organization's ideological beliefs.
Messages, proclamations, and certificates do not indicate the mayor's support of any individual, issue, project, event, or endorsement.
Apply by email:
Email your information and draft document or certificate to firstname.lastname@example.org