On December 18, 2007, the Village Board passed an ordinance regulating outdoor lighting. For more information, please contact Village Hall at 708-301-0632.
The Village was honored on March 26, 2008 by Lieutenant Governor Pat Quinn for our Lighting Ordinance.
Earth Hour Celebration
During the Earth Hour celebration on Saturday, March 28, 2009, Homer Glen Mayor Jim Daley presented Representative Judy Biggert with a copy of the Homer Glen Lighting Ordinance, encouraging her to "spread it around the world." Homer Glen’s efforts to bring awareness to light pollution has attracted national attention. The concept to “not use light that you don’t need and shine the light you need, where you need it” is an instrumental part of the ordinance. Mayor Daley noted that the night sky is a natural resource that Homer Glen is dedicated to preserving.
Trustee Russell Knaack, Mayor Jim Daley, Lieutenant Governor Quinn, Trustee Margaret Sabo and Debra
Outdoor Lighting Examples
View Examples of Fully Shielded and Not Fully Shielded Lighting (PDF). (Dated May 28, 2013)
- Bright as the Full Moon: How Much to Light Up the Night (PDF)
- Digital Billboards: New Regulations for New Technology (PDF)
- Fireflies and Lightbulbs: Does Manmade Light Impact Ecosystems (PDF)
- Outdoor Lighting and Crime Prevention (PDF)
- Outdoor Lighting Ordinances: Proven Alternatives to the M.L.O. (PDF)
- Pattern Outdoor Lighting Code (PDF)
- Phantom Load Vs. Monstrous Waste (PDF)
- The Challenges of Finding Good Outdoor Lighting Fixtures (PDF)
- The Color of Lights - More Than Meets the Eye (PDF)