- Doing Business
- Economic Development
- Community Profile
The Village of Homer Glen is an upscale suburban gem located within an easy commute of Chicago in the southwest suburbs. Strategically positioned in northeastern Will County, Homer Glen is 25 miles southwest of downtown Chicago. Two interchanges with I-355 on Homer Glen’s western border provide easy access to all major Chicago area expressways and airports.
Homer Glen is unique among Chicagoland communities. In 2021, we celebrated our 20th anniversary as an incorporated Village. As a young Village, Homer Glen offers a distinctive blend of open space, beautiful residential developments and vibrant commercial corridors with significant growth potential. The Village continually works to improve the quality of life for residents through expanded family recreational programming. HomerFest, Homer Glen’s premier summer festival, takes place in June.
Homer Glen is home to a variety of local businesses and nationally recognized brands. Economic development activity is occurring in the Village's 3 primary commercial corridors: 143rd Street, 159th Street and the connecting arterial Bell Road. The busy 143rd/Bell Business District anchored by big box stores and grocers has over 710,500 square feet in retail use.
Homer Glen is one of Will County's largest municipalities by area, currently encompassing approximately 22 square miles. Ultimately, the Village has the opportunity to grow to about 25 square miles. Committed to retaining its unique character, Homer Glen has created a strategically inspired commercial development plan. This plan allows the Village to embrace quality growth along its high traffic corridors while preserving the natural and open space resources that have made it so attractive.
What Does Homer Glen Offer?
- Strong public school system, upscale housing and neighborhoods
- Strategic location with 2 interchanges onto Interstate 355 (143rd Street and 159th Street)
- Easy access to developed commuter rail system
- Prime commercial corridors for growing businesses (143rd Street, Bell Road, 159th Street)
- Lake Michigan water
- Quality of life amenities including a system of 13 Village community parks, 17 miles of multi-use trails and over 1,300 acres of public land managed by the Will County Forest Preserve District offering outdoor recreation and access to nature
- Lowest retail sales tax rate in Chicago's southwest suburbs at 8%
Who Lives in Homer Glen?
- Population: 24,664
- Median Household Income: $120,306
- Average Household Income: $137,577
- Median Owner-Occupied Housing Value: $349,900
- Average Household Size: 3.04
- Median Age: 42.7
- Bachelor's Degree or Higher age 25+: 38.1%
(Source: 2021 ACS 5-Year Estimates)