- Doing Business
- Shopping & Dining
- Shop & Dine in Homer Glen
Shop & Dine in Homer Glen
10 Top Reasons to Shop in the Village of Homer GlenThere are so many reasons to shop local ... to shop in the Village of Homer Glen! If you have additional great reasons to shop in Homer Glen please send those suggestions to Economic Development Director Janie Patch.
- Shopping in Homer Glen creates local jobs. - Businesses in Homer Glen create local employment and self-employment. In turn, people employed in Homer Glen spend a good portion of their pay in our community, helping our local economy.
- Homer Glen has a lower sales tax. - The sales tax in Homer glen, on general merchandise, is 8%. In Orland Park the general merchandise sales tax is higher at 9%. In Joliet the sales tax is 8.75%. In New Lenox, Romeoville and Bolingbrook the sales tax is 8.5%. Homer Glen has a lower sales tax than area communities.
- Local independent shop invest more in the Homer Glen community. - Local businesses are proportionally more generous in their support of Homer Glen charities, schools and community events. So supporting Homer Glen shops means a positive financial impact on our community.
- Shopping in Homer Glen saves you money. - Some out of town shops have done a good job convincing us that smaller local businesses expensive. If you add travel costs and the cost of your time, the overall expense of shopping outside the Village of Homer Glen is much higher. Shopping local = less expensive!
- Shopping local helps create a community. - People don't like losing shops and services in small towns but don't equate this to how they spend their money. Shopping in Homer Glen helps stores to remain and to grow in our Village.
- Shopping local retains our distinctiveness. - Local, independent shops create distinctive shopping experiences and often stock unique products. Local businesses respond more quickly to the needs of Homer Glen customers, stocking products to meet our residents' needs.
- Shopping local helps to protect our environment. - Local shops often stock a higher percentage of locally sourced goods which do not require long transportation delivery journeys. Shopping local helps to reduce our global footprint.
- Local shops are for everyone. - Most people can get to our Homer Glen shops easily and this is especially important for our older residents and for young people without vehicular transportation.
- Local shops value you more. - Evidence from numerous surveys show people receive better customer care and service locally. Local businesses survive by their reputation and from repeat business, which means you get a higher standard of service.
- Shopping local helps to grow Homer Glen's commercial service sector. - Private and public sector services cluster around shopping opportunities. As shops disappear so do hairdressers, banks, restaurants, insurance offices, etc.
Sales Tax Revenue
Sales tax revenue allows the Village of Homer Glen to operate without a municipal property tax. Sales tax accounts for more than 1/3 of the revenue received by the village. Sales tax revenue supports:
- Community development initiatives
- Flooding mitigation
- Park acquisition and maintenance
- Police protection
- Road improvements
Shop Homer Glen and a percentage of the sales tax collected is returned directly to the Village of Homer Glen and to Will County
Reduce Homeowner Tax Burden
Shop Homer Glen and reduce the tax burden of homeowners. Local businesses pay property taxes to our schools, library, fire and other taxing districts in the community lessening the cost of providing services to our residents
Support Community Organizations
Shop Homer Glen and support community organizations. Local businesses are frequent sponsors of our local sports teams and nonprofit groups. They donate time, material, and money to a number of valuable community organizations including HAC, Homer Soccer, Homer Stallions, Homer Glen Foundation, and our school foundations. These organizations would not be able to provide the same level of service without business sponsors.
Shop Homer Glen and create local jobs. Homer Glen businesses provide jobs for Homer Glen residentsâ€"permanent and part time. Many part time jobs are filled by our youth saving money for college. Many of the faces behind the cash registers are friends and neighbors.
Boost Local Economy
Shop Homer Glen and boost the local economy. Business encourages more business as successful companies will attract more commercial growth to our village. Additionally, employees of local businesses are likely to spend money on products and services in Homer Glen. They purchase gas, eat meals, and shop in our stores resulting in additional revenue returning to the community.
Help the Environment
Shop Homer Glen and help the environment. Products such as those sold at local farm stands do not have to be shipped long distance. With local shopping, customers and service providers do not have to drive as far to conduct business thus reducing fuel emissions.
Residents will benefit when they invest wisely and shop Homer Glen.