On March 28, 2022, the Homer Glen Village Board voted to place a Referendum on the ballot for the June 28, 2022 General Primary Election:
"Shall the Office of the Village Clerk for the Village of Homer Glen be appointed by the Village President, with the advice and consent of the Village Board of Trustees, rather than being elected, to be effective upon the expiration of the term of office held by the current Village Clerk?"
The purpose of the referendum is for the voters to decide whether the Village Clerk should be appointed instead of elected.
The reasons the Village Board wanted to submit this to the voters are as follows:
- The Deputy Clerk and Village Staff have been performing and supporting the daily duties of the Clerk’s position and the Collector’s Position.
- The state statute does not require any work-related qualifications or certifications to be elected to the office of Village Clerk.
- Since the incorporation of Homer Glen, the Village Clerk has also been appointed as the Collector. As with the Clerk, the state statute also does not require any work-related qualifications or certifications to be appointed to the position of Collector.
- The Village Clerk position is paid $6000.00 annually. The Collector appointment is paid $26,500.00 annually.
- Because the Clerk is an elected official and not a full-time employee, the hours of availability are inconsistent. If a full-time employee is appointed to conduct the duties of the Clerk and Collector, this will improve efficiency and provide much greater access for the residents and businesses of Homer Glen.
- A skilled and qualified individual working in the position will also provide increased productivity and professionalism in the Clerk’s office.
What does it mean if this referendum passes?
If the referendum passes on June 28th, 2022, the duties and responsibilities of both the Clerk and the Collector position will be designated to an individual selected by the Mayor and Village Board for their professional skills and qualifications. This employee will be required to have experience and knowledge in conducting the daily responsibilities of the office.
If the Referendum is approved by the voters no changes will occur until April 23, 2023, when the current elected Village Clerk’s term in office and appointment as Collector expires.
If the Referendum does not pass the Clerk’s position will remain elected and nothing will change.
What are the duties and responsibilities of the Village Clerk?
The Village Clerk is presently a 4 year elected position which coincides with the Village President's term of office. The Village Clerk is the official keeper of the Village records and maintains the official Village files, including Ordinances, Resolutions annexation files and other official documents.
The Village Clerk's office is responsible for providing the following services: